Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chicka-Chicka-Boom-Boom Trees

I'm sure you all know the book "Chicka-Chicka-Boom-Boom" by Bill Martin Jr. I love his books! This is an activity that is done all of the time, but that's just because it's so great! Whatever activity you can link to a book is one of learning and the child will get more out of it.
I just had these extra letter tiles from when I taught the Saxon program in kindergarten. So I let the children glue them on and go to town. You could use any sort of letters, printed out, written, cut out, whatever you have on hand works great. This is a great activity for letter recogntion. I would ask the kids what letters they had on their tree and if it was ready to tip over yet? At the end of the day we read/sang the book together with our own Coconut trees!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I think we read this story at least twice a week, even if it doesn't "fit" our theme. Sometimes a favorite will always be a favorite no matter the theme :) Love your blog, you have some really great ideas!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Deborah Stewart said...

I love this idea! I know I have a copy of that book somewhere around here - I need to pull it out again.

Ischools said...

Hi greatt reading your blog