Self Selected Activities (AM 9:00-9:45..PM 12:30-1:15)
* Cut and Color Table: CARDIOLOGIST - Red hearts cut in half will be placed at the table today. The children will be able to mend the broken hearts by punching holes (teacher can assist), then sew them back together with yarn.
* Messy Table: SURGERY TABLE - Gak will be made out of elmers glue and liquid starch. Blunt needles and thread will be provided and the children can pretend like they are doctors who need to sew up a patient. Doctors masks and coats and rubber gloves will be added for effect.
* Creative Art: MEDICINE DROPPER ART - Coffee filters, food coloring and water, and medicine droppers will all be used today at the art table. Vibrant colors will be used for the children to drip colors from their medicine droppers onto the coffee filters. The colors will spread and mix into a rainbow.
* Dramatic Play: DOCTORS OFFICE - the dramatic play area will be set up as a doctors office today with a sick bed, bandage wraps, bandaids, stethescope, rubber gloves, lab coats, masks, doctor tools, etc.
Snack (small groups come at different times to eat during Self-Selected Activities. Unless we are making our snack, then we will eat it during large group.)
* Large Group: We'll start with the song can as usual, then read "Froggy Goes to the Doctor", discussing how they all have felt when they went to the doctor and how doctors help us and the community. We'll move into share n' teach as we all listen everyone brought to share. We'll learn the letter Qq, discussing the name, sound, and words that begin with it. The children will then learn the poem "Thump Pump Jump" (check it out on community helpers song page). We'll talk a little about blood and how the heart pumps the blood through our bodies. * Transition: We will talk about breaking bones and scars (the children love doing this and sharing where or how they have hurt themselves). Miss Chelsea has some x-rays from when she broke a bone, she will share it and show the kids what our bones or x-rays look like.
Outside Play (AM 10:15-10:25...PM 1:45-1:55)Small Group (AM 10:30-11:00...PM 2:00-2:30)
* Small Group: Parent volunteers will be set up to come today to share their occupation and what they do. If we still have time we will read the story "I Want to Be a Doctor" and discuss what it takes to be a doctor. Then, we will use a stethoscope to listen to each others heart beats and our own and the teachers. We will then run in place for a minute and listen to our heart beats again so we can hear the difference.