MY SENSE OF SMELL
Morning Circle (AM 9:00-9:30..PM 12:30-1:00)
1. Song Can
2. Calendar - Celebrate Elliot's and Talia's birthday (AM class)
3. We'll learn about the letter Aa through song, movement, actions, and writing. We'll talk about words that begin with the letter Aa and more!!
4. We will pass a cut in half orange and grapefruit around the circle. I'll ask one child to close his/her eyes and smell one of the fruits and identify it. "How did you know?" "What other things do we smell each day?" We will try and identify a few different familiar smells in film canisters.
Learning Centers (AM 9:30-10:15..PM 1:00-1:45)
* Creative Art: SMELLY ART - Different jars with different smells will be placed at the table to today. With smelly markers and other markers, the children will be able to draw what they think they smell. The teacher will dictate it for them and they draw all different types of pictures.
* Messy Table: SCENTED PLAYDOUGH - Playdough made with a few different scents will be placed in the messy table today. Different extracts or oils will be used to scent the playdough. You can also substitute massage oil for vegetable oil which works good also. Koolaid, pumpkin spice or other smells are great things to use for smells. The teacher will try and guide discussions at the messy table about what they smell and what they can make that might smell like that.
* Cut and Color Table: SCRATCH AND SNIFF - The children will be able to use wet cotton swabs to spread flavored, powdered gelatin on paper. After this dries, the children can scratch and sniff to smell what they made!!
* Dramatic Play: RESTAURANT - The children can roll play restaurant as they cook, eat, buy and smell the food they make.
Snack (small groups come at different times to eat during Self-Selected Activities. Unless we are making our snack, then we will eat it during small group.)
* POPCORN: Today we'll get to watch, smell, hear, see, and taste our popcorn that we make at our Closing Circle. We will discuss how we can use all five of our senses to experience the wonderful taste of popcorn! Popcorn has such a distinct smell, who can resist it!
Outside Play (AM 10:20-10:30..PM 1:50-2:00)
Closing Circle (AM 10:30-11:00..PM 2:00-2:30)
* Story - "Smell" by J.M. Parramon
* We'll pop our own popcorn for snack and discuss all of the five different senses we are using, but especially our sense of smell!!
* Music and Movement - "Popcorn Popping" We'll sing and do the actions to this song.
* We'll learn more about the letter Aa again today and discuss different words and things that start with that letter!